View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #146
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

I wont mill wood that grows along the road or people's yards. Nothing like hitting a nail with an expensive ripping chain or a saw band[/QUOTE]

When I was sawyer in a sawmill with two circle saws 54 inch and 38 inch over head the nails bad but them files would fly out like shaprel. dont blame you as staying away from yard grown trees

[quote=special-K;8809154]What I know the term "rick" to mean has nothing to do with quantity or firewood.
Yesterday I dug and formed. I forgot mention that digging meant fill the wheelbarrow, walk it out to the road, over next door in the meadow, dump in the ruts my neighbor made, and spread out. A couple summers ago we had record rains and the stream kept flooding the meadow. My neighbor had trailers he had dumped there years before and decided they needed to be moved when things were as wet as they will ever get. Tore it up bad, so bad it can't be mowed and it's a mosquito pit. I needed a place to get rid of dirt, so killed two birds with one stone. I also dug and formed for a threshold at the far side entry door to the garage.

Good work Tim ,, us old splinter pickers learn to improvise and make some thing out of not so much .. Did I miss where you are fixing things up around the ol place and selling out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
72c20customcamper and special-K's projects remind me of my dad. He was retired 25 years before he had his stroke, and those were the kind of projects he loved doing.

I went up to the Maplewood Cemetery this morning and visited my parents.

It was beautiful this morning and these Maple trees will be turning bright colors in a few days.
Beautiful Cemetery Larry..well kept ..my niece in Russelville cleans up cemeteries all around where she lives and one in Shirley where my dad is buried..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
72C20,
Man, I wish you and I were closer. My grandad had me running a big lathe and doing other woodworking by the time I was nine. I still do some from time to time. Have made three live edge cherry end tables from a tree at my father in laws. Have two big logs from that tree I'd like ripped into slaps for some other project.

All the kitchen cabinets, fireplace mantle, and the cabinets/desk I am sitting at in my office are hickory. Figure when I sell this place the first thing the new owners wife will do is paint it all.

My plan for the day (besides regular job work) is to mow around the pool and maybe a few other honey do's that need done. Nothing fantastic, just checking the boxes.
If you don't mind ,,i would love to see picturs of your hickory cabinets.I bet they are very pretty ....I lived in Oregon the only hickory I could get to build anything out of was from Pallets from trucker bringing motor parts to the papermill close by me .