View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #177
Duncan K

Re: 66 GMC Long to Short LS Swap

Couldn't find an upper rad hose to work so I modified the outlet on the rad. Now just a short straight piece of hose connects the two.

I didn't like the extreme angle of the rear shocks, and I needed more space to run the exhaust out the back. I relocated the rear shocks outboard of the frame.
I recycled the upper mounts and made lower mounts off the back of the trailing arms. Shocks sit vertical, and should work better now. This opens up more space for the exhaust to run through as well

Changed my plan for the exhaust, was going to go over the rear axle but decided now to go under. I moved the mufflers back and finished welding everything that was previously just tacked up. My stainless welds have improved a lot after getting a Furick Fupa 12 cup

[

Mounted the new steering column only to find that it was binding and would only move about 1/8 of a turn. Took it apart and found the plastic ball that the tilt steering swivels on was broken. A big chunk of it was hanging out causing it to bind. I just love getting "brand new" parts that come broken. I managed to get the broken junk out and it turns freely now. I bought it from a seller off Ebay, hopefully they will warranty it.

Was really cool to sit in the truck holding the steering wheel, even if it was sitting on a milk crate! Really pushing to drive it before the snow comes