View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 11:33 AM   #1058
SCOTI

Re: Project: Recycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered 77 View Post
Watching closely as I always learn something from your build. Looking at the pictures, is there 2" there to remove without getting into the shift linkage and/or the firewall mount?

Rick
Yes & no. I gave myself room to trim (easier to remove more vs add some back on). I made the initial cuts, did a quick temp assembly, & mounted it in place loosely. In order to put things where I could make the connections, it was easy enough to push the column slightly into the cab & pull it back out.

I have probably ~1" material that could be cut from both sides of the firewall w/o issue. The engine compartment side would possibly also require slimming the firewall bracket slightly as well.

Trimming that much total would put the column 'cone' less than a fingertips width gap from the dash & likely shorten the engine compartment side to the point of the shifter arm opening being immediately after the firewall bracket.

I put a plastic angle template against it last night. It's more than 30° so the column will need to be shorter (which should decrease the angle @ the shaft/joint) or option 'B' (having to add the 3rd joint/adding complexity).

My dilemma is, the shorter the column end = the better the angle @ the joint. But, moving the shaft over for the better angle is going to start getting closer than I want to the collector flange of the already built exhaust. I built the exhaust after confirming a PBDM/SBC was done w/the 2-joint combo on my buddys truck/s w/o issue. It was tight, but it cleared. I've been in contact w/him for more info. He used different u-joints (UniSteer vs. Borgeson) & his trucks were 68's so slightly different & he didn't shorten his 67-72 tilt columns (he said he didn't need to):
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote