View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 06:28 AM   #402
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Now there's some aluminum that never needed to be "brought back" very far

Bead blasting is the easiest way to go. There is always hand work and in this case that would be sandpaper. I'd start with a solution, such as the Eagle 1 product. I had a nasty nasty set of aluminum slots I bought stupid cheap. They were stained brownish black and rough from brake dust. I first used oven cleaner. That did a great job toward breaking through that crud and showing some silver. But it discolored the metal some and left the white crusty deposits. I then tried wheel cleaner and Scotchbrite but that wasn't getting it very well. Seemed a bit light duty for what was needed, so I went to wet sanding with fine paper. I think I used the wheel cleaner with it. Brought them to a point I was happy with. I didn't ever want then brand new polished looking, just aged aluminum to go with the rest of the unrestored truck

Burnished finish is "as cast", such as the engine case on a Harley. It is what you have after bead blasting... unmachined/unpolished

EDIT: I saw other Larry's post above and though I was on CG's "bring these wheels back" thread. All that typing in the wrong thread... dayum. Hey CG, come take a look at this thread!
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-01-2020 at 06:47 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote