View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #416
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

I live in the hilly part of SC, so our seasons are "mild." It's usable "as is" from mid Feb-June and Sept to almost Dec. without heat or air, with July/August hot as all get out and Dec/Jan really the only months too cold to be comfortable.

I'm looking into a traditional heat pump system with an air handler in the attic or a mini split system is looking more and more appealing. Based on the size, I think I need two units. That will be a few years down the road, I'm leaving 3" PVC in the walls for future wiring, heat/coolant lines, and drip line. The attic will be "open" with built in shelving.

We need to replace the upstairs HVAC in our house this spring. I'm trying to build the entire thing with cash and a small HELOC loan. I'm doing pretty well so far, as it sits, everything is paid for (electrical is done) and I've only used about 5K of the loan. I do need about another 15K to finish. Doors, insulation, and all the finishes are $$$.

I've lost track, but I think I have 38-40K in it so far (Concrete was $$, it has a real foundation and the floor is 5.5" thick). I've done everything but the grading/concrete, shingles (I did the sheeting and underlayment though) and the electrical. I rented a crane for a few hours and my friends help me set the trusses. That was a fun day. The crane operator was awesome.

I could have done a metal building for much cheaper (and been done already!), but I live in an awesome older neighborhood with some really nice homes with 0.75 to 1.5 acres each and our home value has climbed 100K in the 10 years we've owned it and I want it to keep climbing.

Paul do it! I'm trying to buy the two lots next to me (0.7 acres total). It's all wooded and I want it to stay that way. We've made an offer. The seller seemed willing, but dragging their feet now. It's an old subdivision plat from the 60's that never got built. The problem today is that the lots are too small for new septic requirements with the size houses they need to build to make a subdivision profitable, so it all sits and I'm good with that. I think there's something like 12 different owners of 20 lots. My neighbors tell me most of it is owned by people trying to use the address for our school district.

You're not kidding Dave! All my grading/concrete work came out to around 17K I had 3 quotes and they were all pretty similar. It will end up being about 1/3 of my total cost.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 12-02-2020 at 12:29 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote