View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #355
88Stanger

Re: SkinnyG's '61 Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I looked at a variety of bed floor options.

Options:

Bed wood kit: $750 CDN

Make my own wood using composite fascia boards: $630 CDN

If I do a wood or woodesque floor, I'll need new bed floor strips and angles: $150 CDN

New steel fleetside bed floor I can cut down: $1300 CDN

Maybe find/modify a bed floor from Pick-N-Pull: $190 to $430 CDN (I'm not sure how they would price this)

Find a local bed and cut a floor out: $500+ CDN

Decision:

In the end, I can buy wood through the school wood shop at cost and make my own. So that's what I decided to do, in Red Oak. I ordered bed strips from Bill's Truck Shop in Ontario.

I intend to do a black stain, and then an oil finish so I can just keep oiling it off and on, maybe even with used motor oil since I will have some at every oil change.
On my "69 i did my own wood floor. I used Black Locust which is a really hard wood with lost of "figuring" in it. I really like the dark and lights in it. Cost was low because my buddy has a small mill and the trees are local to us here. I borrowed a planner and got the boards from 5/4 to 3/4 and then cut the widths. After that i routered the edge and then cut the length. Honestly was not real hard, just need little better than basic wood skills. Fits perfectly. I plan to do similar to the "66. So I say good for you!
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote