View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #44
WunTon

Re: WunTon's 63' BBW/SWB Fleetside build

Well I would have loved to get more done but I was able to meet my goal of having it sitting on its own rear axle this weekend!

I got the second notch in with the exception of one bolt. This is what I get for buying cheap ebay notches I guess. One of the bolts on the side of the frame is located directly in line with two of the bolts on the bottom of the frame and the bolts they sent with it are to long so the side bolt contacts a bottom bolt. I can remedy this with a shorter bolt which isn't a big deal since I already planned on replacing the grade 5 bolts that came with it to grade 8 when it comes time for final assembly anyway but still a minor design annoyance anyway.

If you look close in this picture you can see the missing bolt on the left side notch

I got the upper holes drilled for the bag mounts and fittings and got those bolted on but somehow didn't take any pictures. Then I got the wheel studs pressed into the new axle shafts and decided to just toss the carrier in with the old bearings and not do a full setup on the axle until I have it painted or powder coated.

I needed some rollers since I don't want to use the wheels and tires that came with it and since they are brand new I didn't want to hurt resale value on them by bolting them for mockup so I hit up CL with no luck and then went to FB marketplace and found a sent of jeep wheels/tires that someone was giving away free and had the wife send them a message since I don't actually do the book of faces expect to look for stuff to spend money on and I picked them up the next morning.

They are way to big but they will work for now and for the price I won't complain!

After that I got the fuel cell mocked up and drilled all the holes in the frame for that. It was pretty uneventful but another thing to mark off the list none the less so I was excited to see it done.

Once the fuel cell was in I set it on the ground on its own rear axle for the first time in 5 years which was another milestone.

I decided it would make more sense to turn the frame around the other way to work on the front suspension so I grabbed the front and rolled it out into the street like the worlds largest wheelbarrow and had to stop on the way back in for a photo op!

Seeing this picture really makes me want to stop and take time to clean up the garage but my brain keeps saying "no screw the garage must make progress on the truck" so maybe I can talk my brain outta progress for an hour one of these days to clean stuff up.

After I got it rolled back in with about 3" to spare I started on the front crossmember. I got the bag brackets drilled and mounted and drilled out the bigger Ubolt holes for the cross shafts on the lower arms. I started putting it back on the frame and could only find 3 of the new bolts I bought for this task so I loosely put in the bolts I had and called it a night.

I'll pick up the bolts I need today and I figure within a couple hours time I should be ablt to have it sitting on the front wheels.
WunTon is offline   Reply With Quote