View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 10:07 PM   #82
53Sparky

Re: Rust Therapy - 62 C-10

Well, I'm slow, but at least I do mediocre work.

Today I patched mirror mount holes in the original doors to my truck. The passenger door had 3 different sets of holes, and the driver side had 3 different sets. Only 1 set of holes were symetrical to the other side, so I can only imagine what the truck looked like at various points in its history.

I set my MIG up for .023 wire instead of the .030 that I usually use. I had to run to the welding supply shop to get the appropriate tip for my gun. It took me a while to get the tension right on the drive wheel so that it didn't make birds nests inside the access panel. I've never really done any thin sheet metal welding so I burned a few welds on a couple coupons first to dial in the settings and then got busy. I patched up the holes in the driver door without any significant issues. I forgot to take pictures of the process, but you can see the result in the first picture.

I drilled 3 new holes in the passenger door to match the OEM mirror on the driver door, and welded some nuts on the inside. It was easy enough to reach after i cut an access hole from the inside of the door.

I struggled with repairing the holes on the A pillar on the passenger door. The holes were too close together to patch easily, and I kept blowing through when I tried to weld in the smaller patches I made, so i scrapped that idea and made a larger patch and started over. That worked better.
Attached Images

Numbers 6:24-26
53Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote