View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #150
6DoF

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
What an awesome build! I also love every part of it. I've always wanted to build one of these trucks I just already have too many projects. That carrier bearing is so bad ass. I have 2 other suggestions for mufflers. First, is the spinny muffler. A 2nd turbo about 75mm or so. That quiets them down and adds that boost stuff you wanted before earlier in this thread. Or, a Jones aero turbine muffler. Takes up less room than those Donaldson units and are stainless. A little more money but they work really well and don't drone. 4" exhaust is fine. 5" is over kill and a PITA to fit in builds like this. Let's face it, this is a 359ci, not an 855. Most pick ups with 5" have it for looks only.

Awesome fab work and that computer aided everything you have from modeling to cutting everything is so cool. When I build my crew cab 67-72 I want to do exactly this. Build a custom frame that suites the truck's needs.

What plans do you have for the engine? What are you planning on doing to the IP and do you have a fuel plate or something else? I've installed a couple of AFC Live's and really like them.

i also fully support the 2nd spinny muffler! my usual term is spiral muffler, but i now actually have one that better fits that description ... weird. my goal with this is to only build it once, and if i can fit 5" now i know i never have to re-do it. i can also get less restriction with quieter dual mufflers in 5" cuz i do hope to make more power than that 855 eventually while still being able to have a conversation while driving. same power, same air!

i'm willing to share my CAD if anyone wants it.

so the 12V plan ... this will be a long and twisted road right now the plan is to basically use it as-is to get things up and running so i can drive it while i detail out the rest of the truck. then add n build it more to kind of document my way thru. i intend to fully instrument the thing with the Banks iDash so i can have all the data showing the good, the bad, and what changed. lets put it this way, i won't be satisfied until i can out-run my wife's daily driver (C7 'vette)

as for the AFC live, i'll actually be building my own. they are a precision air pressure regulator with a bypass switch and orifice valve. the regulator lets you set the max boost PSI that the pump will see, letting you set max fueling. assumes that the AFC spring was swapped out to match your max boost. the orifice valve allows you to slow down how quickly the pump sees this max pressure, giving the turbo's time to spool and making a high HP engine less violent on the street. the bypass obviously just lets all the violent happen
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote