View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #566
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I'd be looking for a new trans after what you've been thru...I just wouldnt trust it
I have a zr2 blazer..while riding in the woods, a stick flipped up and destroyed that big plug on the trans side..had to replace the harness in the trans...with it messed up ,it wouldnt go in 1st or 2nd gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Don’t know what happened I don’t see my post at all but my 6l80e doesn’t have a dipstick it has an over flow tube. When I took it out the first time my shifts were sluggish so when I checked it again it was a 1/2 qt low. Twice now I have stepped on it at about 20mph and had what felt like it lost suction for about a second mid Second gear I’m going to add another half court and see if that solves the problem. I agree with mongo that trans would be a concern especially if you went on a long Road trip
My brother-in-law, Rick, is pushing me in the same direction. Says that case must have really been whacked some time in the past and they should replace it all (with apologies!). I sent an email to Ohio Speed detailing what was happening and will see what he suggests. Chuck was the middle man in the transmission deal so I don't know how much help he can be. He didn't respond to my last email after I repaired the cracked pressure port boss. Hope I haven't ticked him off and lost his support.

It's not like I can't get it fixed. There are several quality shops in our area. The problem is that there's a lot of wiring and plumbing packed like sardines around the trans. Taking out the trans would require a lot patience - and even more going back in to avoid pinching the harness. If there's any way to make it right I'd prefer that to starting over.

That said, one thing I learned the hard way as a field engineer for Schlumberger many years ago is that when a job started to go kaput, it just kept getting worse. If a tool failed downhole, getting a replacement via hotshot was rarely the solution. It might fix one thing but something else would crap out - and so it went. Some days it was just your turn to suffer. But a wise old engineer told me early on, "Son, I ain't never been on a job that didn't end." And he was right. We either fixed it all and finished up or we got ran off, but either way we got to go home.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote