Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
So very nice. Love it.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
That wagon is beautiful from top to bottom. I've followed the build all of the way through and you have done some impressive work. The transmission problems disappointed us all who have been on board, as we are all car people and have at one time or other had to re-do something that we didn't want to re-do. Because you have found two cracks already my thought is that you probably ought to go ahead and replace the case. I would be afraid that sooner or later fluid would find it's way under or through the JBWeld patches and start leaking again.
Thanks, Russell. I'm with you on the case deal. In fact, this weekend I did some research on replacement cases and it turns out there are two types that could be what I have. One is designed for a pump with an integral o-ring seal groove and the other has the groove in the case itself. I haven't been able to identify which version I have. Will need to do some deeper digging.

I'm also leaning toward replacing the converter. What they sent with the transmission is a 10" converter with a 3000-3200 rpm stall speed. Based on my experience, a converter like that is more suited to the drag strip than the street. Even though it's a lock up style, I think the clutch disc(s?) end up doing most of the work. The guys at HRE seem to think they can make it work. But if I have the trans out to fix the problems with the case, I'd feel better going with a larger, tighter converter. Keeping my fingers crossed that I hear from HRE this week to get started. Not knowing what's going on is killing me.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote