View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #6
gmc684x4

Re: Pro's & Con's of Donor Years

I know c10 63 to 87 use any year spindle with stock a arms only need to use appropriate year ball joints and tie rods.

I have not looked into c20 swap 63 87 I would say there probably the same.

96 - 02 vortec motors are the best out of gen 1 motors ditch the fuel injection or upgrade it to a marine injection setup for over 400 hp

I know someone will say race ready heads flow better they should they cost more
I have gotten good running L31 engine in a van cheap because most mechanics look for any excuse not to work on vans replace leaky intake gasket (l31 known for leaky intake) mechanic blamed blown head gaskets and warped heads

97 up ls based engines are great biggest con i would say would be adapting a fuel pump to feed them. I am using a blazer/burbon tank cutting the ring out of the donor tank and welding it up to use the donor pump setup so there are no noisy pumps on the rail or behind the seat

Prefer dbw as donor comes with pedal tac box dislike dbc as it can get expensive making up a throttle cable if you don't have good luck scrounging one that may work for your application

Cost can be very steep on a ls swap if you buy every thing my favourite option buy a complete truck on the cheap part it out end up with a free engine buying a pulled out engine adds lost of cost many pick a parts are around 250 and see guys asking 1000 to 3000 for a pulled engine.

I picked up my truck 500 has parasitic draw swapped gauges almost good enough to drive on the street sold bumper now a 400 dollar engine
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote