View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #19
Overdriven

Re: Towing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
If you're custom-building the trailer and you know the weight distribution, you can probably move the axles forward to balance the load better.
Unfortunately I’m not the one in contact with the trailer builder, my boss is. I’ve drawn it all up, to scale and mentioned sending it to the trailer builder and seeing if moving the axles forward is possible or good idea. If we can move the axles forward 4-6 inches it would give me some more wiggle room in tuning tongue tongue weight. Been doing some reading on RV/trailering forums though and I don’t think I want to reduce tongue weight. Seems a tongue weight that’s around 12% of total trailer weight is ideal and I’m right around there with the axles where they are. Plus I’m pretty confident I have the axles loaded evenly, by my calculations around half the tongue weight comes from the trailer itself.

At least nobody has poked any huge holes in the feasibility of this project. Input on the truck seems mixed but I kind of expected that, still some great pointers. Btw it does have a brake controller that is hooked up and the hitch is class 4. Forgot to check the door sticker to see if it has the max tow package though. My boss found a 3/4 ton to borrow for the upcoming event if ours sags too much. After that event we will look into a weight distributed hitch or getting a 3/4 ton of our own. Thanks for the input everyone.