View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #6
verdell

Re: Engine temps with Vintage Air Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65k10 View Post
Okay,

It's summer and daily temps are 110 plus. I've got a 66 C20 with a 383/700r4 with a 4 core factory radiator (recently recored) with 2 12" electric fans. Without the AC on, stop and go traffic temps are in the 210-225 range (mechanical gauge in intake). With the AC on (and it's not blowing that cold), it gets to 235 before I panic and turn off the AC . On the freeway (without AC), temps are a steady 200. Using a factory serpentine set-up so I've got the correct reverse rotation water pump. Engine has a mild cam, long tube headers, aluminum heads and intake. 7lb cap on radiator, and it has never puked out any fluid. If the air temp is 95 to 100, I still see the same motor temps, but the AC is cold, cold, cold. I dropped initial timing from 12 to 9 and that has helped some, but definitely can tell performance has dropped some.

I feel that maybe the fans aren't doing the job and maybe I need to step up to something like the big 18" Lincoln fan. I built this to be my daily, but no AC in the summer is a disappointment. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

I ran an iron head 383/700R4 for several years with Summit aluminum radiator and a '96 Mercury Cougar XR-7 big 2-speed fan on the low speed without ac and it never rose above 185. Summers here get above 100 too. I kept the same set up with my LS and Vintage Air but using the high speed as needed and it's still doing well. Maybe not moving enough air?
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote