Thread: Sm420 install
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
Killer Bee

Re: Sm420 install

not to be a negative nancy, but it's very difficult to finesse a trans input shaft through a clutch pack and line up on the pilot with a cherry picker, especially if it's your first time.. manipulating the hoist and scooting steel casters sideways or the arc of the chain swing all add to difficulty.. if you have a shop helper that knows how to coordinate with you then it's probably a more viable method..

I've replaced my fair share of clutches, albeit mostly heavy junk and on-road eaton 15.5 clutches.. I could replace the clutch on the road trans in a fire truck by noon on an in-n-out when the local seagrave dealer quoted two days.. I get y'alls point, I just wouldn't do it that way in a light truck that I own and drive in my driveway, again, especially if it was my first time..

below are a couple of bell housing alignment studs I made for the method mentioned above.. and an eaton that came in for clutch noise and vibration

I also cut a 1" hole in the bell housing on fuller trans to remove the pressure plate bolts.. I have r&r clutches loaded on the trans, just have to know what you're doing going back together.. soon as the plate draws up square in the flywheel pilot and the two little wood blocks drop out of the release bearing - bingo, you're home! but these jobs are all done with an otc hd trans jack

I swapped two sm465s and one th400 between three trucks in a weekend in my driveway.. long story what went where and why but the 4spd c30 stakebed drove home saturday, my 74 c20 was converted to auto, running sunday and I drove it to work monday.. the 77 c20 donor of the auto went to salvage..

I've replaced clutches in everything from civics to jeeps to dump trucks for my friends and never had a comeback

I'm by no means a clutch expert but I do speak from experience.. I know a lot of us can and do a lot of things various ways, but I'm only making a recommendation for someone that's asking, presumably someone that hasn't replaced a clutch before or wouldn't be asking.. good luck op and please keep it safe however you decide to do it!