View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 05:31 PM   #240
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

When I was blasting a pinhole opened up on one of the cowl boxes, so I stuck my phone in the cavity to see what it looked like from the inside. There was some scabby dark patches that indicated deeper pitting so I went ahead and cut both sides open.

Patterns made and transferred to 18g.

I used the vice, a delrin block to back it, and a rounded over chisel to form the drains.

Forming the drains shortened the flange from the steps added so it made the panel curve. Before and after stretching to make it flat again. I also added an extra drain to help prevent water building up in the future.

While i was working around the cowl area I made a template of the vent openings so I could make block off plates.

The owner requested that I "clean up" the transition between the bottom of the dash and the column. The lower flange was oddly shaped and had a really oversize cut out to mount the column. The new mount on the Ididit column was taller than it needed to be so there was a large gap between the column and face of the dash.

The tabs of the mounting bracket hung down pretty far, making them visible.

I taped steel wire to the wiring harness so I could pull it back out of the way of the bracket area, then cut the bracket off and shortened it.

Column back in place, bracket tabs no longer show.

I made a couple of filler plates to finish out the opening between the column and lower dash flange.

One side finished to show the difference.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote