View Single Post
Old 08-30-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
jmarkha1

Re: 1965 C10 Fleet Project - unfinished business

LS engine stripdown

I bought a used 'donor' engine - sight unseen through a engine buyer in UK - a bit of a gamble and the 'first' engine that arrived looked tidy BUT one of the pistons didnt move when turning the motor over! - this engine was collected and inspected - a rod had snapped and tried to escape through the side of the case - without quibble another engine was sent overnight and I started again.

The replacement looked good on first inspection and once fully stripped down all I could find was a pitted cam lobe and a missing lifter.

The engine is a 2005/2006 LQ4 - probably out of a delivery truck or similar - the front pulley is a long version and it has 317 heads that are lower compression.

The rods are the later gen4 floating pin type but the ignition is a 24 tooth early version.

All the heads seemed good and the bores still had crosshatching intact - more on that later!

The plan was to change out mains, rod, rings and all the usual seals and put it back together. However, a schoolboy error changed things.
Attached Images

jmarkha1 is offline   Reply With Quote