View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
6DoF

Re: my 58 apache build

dude! nice score! i mean even my wife would have come home with that for $300!! build it cheap, get it on the road, sell for profit, buy c10.

[rant]

unless going on air i love me some leaf springs. the absolute simplicity of it all! and it's there, and worst case add a panhard bar to really tighten things up. save the leaf springs!!

[/rant]

sorry, you asked a real question

so for my truck on air i used a 78 C30 front crossmember and suspension in my build, but i know the factory 58 frame rails are too narrow and the WMS is too wide for the fenders. enough guys were narrowing the control arms by 1-2" per side, that you can actually buy pre-narrowed tube arms. i was also going to section the crossmember originally to line up with the 55 frame rails before i built what i did.

but any sectioning and messing with it changes all the geometry of everything, it's never quite the same. even buying a c10 suspension with a fabricated crossmember for the 58, they had to change the geometry. but if that modded geometry is fine for how you drive ... why wouldn't leaf springs be?

if you have access to a bunch of junk yard crown vic stuff, that seams like a great place to start. i've seen some good results with those parts.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote