View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 10:07 PM   #1740
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

I thought I was done building with rock here, I've only built 600 L ft. of retaining walls, channels, and a levee, and another 400 L ft. of french drain, just wasn't enough.

Back at it today because we got 5" of rain some weeks ago. With the heavy winters 2017-19 the hill behind me finally gave way one spot. I checked the area during the storm and the floor in front of this hill was soaked, first time I've seen that in 20 years I've lived here. After the storm I checked again to see it slid this spot, go figure. There's nearly a 90 closer to the street (cough). The hill is very steep and maybe 20' high.

Above it is city property, and they have "taken care" of this hill past. But they just dump 3/4-3" rock (dirt) on occasion, the wrong size of course. I mentioned that to the city's engineer that approach is useless, especially since we get far more water in stints than we once did. I've seen the covert on the north side run three months straight. A fluke I built for it, because it left 3-3.5 ft. square trenches beyond it that winter, timing is everything. I learned along time ago if you wait for the city you're done, because I'd have received half the water from that easement otherwise, or even all of it, the foundation wouldn't have survived it for starts.

Someone gave this rock away so I grabbed what I could lift. You can see the grade is too heavy behind it. I have a shovel, but it can never be right without some ROCKS, 8"ish, not the pebble BS.

Thanks to my neighbor this was 6-7 trips in a barrel 250' downhill instead of 350' uphill. Only took 2-3 hours. It's deep and tight, but not built for looks. Nice day. I think I'll rock the entire hill at some point, another 30-40 feet. Just the bottom. The rest is the cities problem.

I built that short channel behind it years ago, it runs well often, cuts through the top and out of my place. Like everything else that runs down to the Mayor's place where it's supposed to Go figure the developer & city made a provision for that, but not the covert that feeds almost all of it?? Luck has it I like to build with rocks somehow, and the rock for a B/A levee was literally dropped in the field behind my place, just a fluke....."Yeah take it", Rearwee?
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-16-2021 at 10:19 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote