View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #1900
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

You've cut so much wood ahead you are now cutting it for the past?? Or did you mean 23/24 season?

I went on a hike on the C&O Canal Towpath upriver a bit from Harpers Ferry, WVA with my sis and b.i.l. My sis and I have done that section a couple times recently. We have been curious about a spot that appeared to be a mining site on the other side of the (dry now) canal. There is a man-made cave in solid rock, quarried area into an anticline that has clay layers mixed in deep below the surface, what looks like an early iron furnace, and this time we noticed a huge ruins of a concrete foundation. These things are all strung along the canal. I've tried to find info on what it was before, but this time I searched I used the right terms and found out what it was. It was a manganese mine, trench mine and shaft. The cave is the entrance to the shaft, now filled. the concrete ruins were from the hydraulic cement plant and what I thought was an iron furnace was a lime kiln. This was in operation when the canal was as well and was serviced by it. First opened in 1876 when the shaft went down 23'. Then reopened in 1908 when they went to 60'. Pretty neat to learn about one of the many early American operations that existed along this historic canal, before there were much of any good roads at all. The trees are so big it's hard to imagine how it was back then.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote