View Single Post
Old 04-16-2022, 11:23 AM   #20
sfont66

Re: 72 C10 for my 25th wedding anniversary

When measuring for a driveshaft, I noticed the pinion seal was leaking, upon further investigation I found that the yolk could be moved ever so slightly. I decided I should change the seal . I made marks on the pinion, nut, yolk, and rear end with a chisel. I proceeded to back the nut off counting the turns, and made note of how many threads were showing so I could put everything back exactly as it was before. The nut backed of easily, with a 1/2” ratchet , I was expecting it to be a lot tighter. Anyway i pried the old seal out ,cleaned up the yolk, nut, and pinion, and pressed in a new seal. I packed the back side of the seal with a bit of grease to help the spring stay in place while being forced into place.
I put everything back as it was, aligning the chisel marks, and counting the turns as I went, I put some blue loctite on the pinion threads just for reassurance. Everything went well. I can’t help but think that it may be possible either the pinion nut had backed off just slightly, or the bearing and races could be worn just enough to have made the yoke a bit loose?
I have no idea if anyone had done the seal on this truck before, the rear end never made any noise, so hopefully it will last another year or 2. I would like to replace it with a Moser or Currie 9” sometime in the future.
Attached Images