View Single Post
Old 05-11-2022, 10:08 AM   #1
NDM

72 Blazer_2wd LS swap but remove front driveshaft

Hello. I am new here and recently purchased my bucket list 72 4x4 Blazer with the factory 350. I planned to do an LS swap and eventually a 2wd swap but for the moment I need I only have the funds for the LS swap. So my question is this. Due to the fact that I am preparing for a 2wd conversion, I want to pick up a 6.0 L96 and a 6l90E trans from an 3500 express van. The reason for this motor/trans combo is because I am very familiar with it since I also have a 1976 Buick Regal with the same combo. These motor/trans combos are plentiful and cheaper than LS3's. The 6l90E is very stout and handled a bunch of power.

So is it possible for me to run the front 4x4 axle but with no driveshaft connecting it until I build up the funds to do a proper 4x4 to 2wd conversion. technically I could do the swap now but I would have to change wheels and tires which would be a bunch more.

If you are wondering why I just dont wait to do everything until I have all the funds needed, well I actually sold my daily driver (60k mile 2013 Jeep GC SRT) to get this Blazer. I need to be done with the swap and have all the bugs sorted before the next Chicago winter rolls in.

My only other option is to pick up a 4wd motor and trans from a modern chevy truck and run 4x4 for a while but then I will be wasting funds when I swap to 2wd due to things like having to buy 2 new driveshafts and having to swap the trans to a 2wd or modify the 4wd trans. I would rather just drive around with 2wd and leave the front axle with no shaft but still operational.

So is this possible to do?
NDM is offline   Reply With Quote