View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 11:29 AM   #8
Jason Banks

Re: Swap was running fine and now white vapor/smoke from one tailipe

Finally got a chance to check this out this morning.

Cylinder 4 spark plug smelled like fuel and looked like it had raw fuel on the insulator.

The injectors have a switched power wire(pink) and a ground trigger wire. Put my multimeter on the wires for cylinder 2 and the trigger showed no continuity to ground, but on cylinder 4 it did.

Like I said I haven't driven this truck on the road and it has never really gotten up above about 180 in temperature.

I had caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye that it looked like the main harness going to the computer looked different. Sure enough a zip tie had come loose and the main harness was touching the exhaust. The only real damage was to the outer cover and the single trigger wire to cylinder 4 fuel injector.

Like many of you I saw the white smoke and immediately went to 'oh crap' that's water/coolant. But it looked strange to me because it was dissipating quickly. Initially pulled the radiator cap and the level looked fine. Then with the fuel smell I was thinking it was a stuck injector, even though I had cleaned and tested them all thoroughly before installing them. I even ordered an injector. You can also hear in the video that it sounds like it is misfiring. I wanted to check the computer for codes, but I have been disconnecting the battery every time I shut it off. Didn't even occur to me initially that it could be triggered all the time and not stuck.

It's a relief that I don't have to pull the fuel rail off and get smelling like gas. That is the main reason I couldn't do it last week. Had some personal plans that didn't include smelling like gas.

Lesson learned. White smoke is not always coolant.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote