View Single Post
Old 05-24-2022, 02:01 PM   #2760
LT7A

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I needed to space the rubber bumpers away from the door/ramp on my car trailer. I bought aluminum ones to replace the plywood that came with it. They have a deeper side profile. I found a drop of 6061 3"X8" on ebay for $43. I had some stainless 3/8" acorn nuts from a light I made over the lathe and some 3/8"all-thread laying around so I put some green (forever) Loctite on them and made some bolts. I cut the 6061 into thirds and cleaned them up. Drilled and tapped the door and success. Thank you for your time.
Super clean work. And very resourceful. Both on the light and on the trailer. You are a detail guy and I can relate to that. A funny note is, on the picture of the back of your trailer, it took me a minute. Looked like the front of your garage had melted and then I figured out it was the reflection. Very clean, reflective. Thought I would mention, that I was surprised to learn that stainless is somewhat reactive as a dissimilar metal with aluminum. The funny thing is that mild steel is closer in composition (less reactive), but obviously rusts. If you need to put some type of steel in contact with aluminum, it's good to use galvanized. Thought I would mention it since those pieces would be out in the weather. They may be sleeved though, not sure if they are in direct contact with the aluminum. I'm not trying to be critical, your craftsmanship is outstanding.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote