View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 08:27 AM   #523
6DoF

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

Corroseal Update - Please read

after giving a pretty solid research/review of the Corroseal ... i would like to revoke that! i'm not sure i'll even finish this bottle.

i tried to read up on the instructions and tried to research before hand ... but i apparently missed stuff. it wasn't until i googled "Corroseal pealing off" where i found a YouTube that i am pretty sure was recorded from a VHS tape. here's what i learned.

1) if you realize it needs a 2nd coat from incomplete conversion, do it and add more.
... HOWEVER adding more to a partial or full cure will ruin the entire coating!
... if it has already started to tach over, chemically must strip it all off and start over
... if it has already fully cured, you must grind it all off and start over

2) if you coat bare steel ... grind it all off and don't do that again, it won't stick.
3) if you coat old pain ... grind it all off and don't do that again, it won't stick.
4) if you coat smooth LIGHTLY RUSTY METAL ... grind it all off and don't do that again, it won't stick.

so basically i started some tape lines for the seam sealer, adjusted one pc and the tape pealed up a bunch of coating. i then set around the floor to test a bunch of places, and was fully disappointed everywhere but ONE place. the ONE place none pealed was single heavy coat on heavy rust. 2nd coat after cure on heavy rust and it was pealing up.

so i will be grinding the entire coating off with a wire wheel. i still think it might have done a decent conversion though, so maybe i'll just prime/paint after grinding.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote