View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 04:43 PM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: August 2022 ToTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Orange, you sound like me. I will still vote for yours. I think, if the engine starts and can move an inch, you might be a candidate.
Are those factory wagon wheels? If so, I've never seen them in 6 lug.
Yes it starts, and will move an inch, but until I get the new Rear End and Trailing Arms installed, I don't want to move it. The present 12-Bolt makes the most God awful crunching-grinding groan when you put it in gear.
Also some weird engine noises -- possibly just out of place sheet metal on the flywheel guard -- but I wanted Dennis my mechanic buddy to listen to it before we tear into the motor too. He hasn't been well.

Actually those are 6 x 16 Trailer Wheels. American Racing 8-Spoke White ''Wagon''wheels. The tire shop set me up on them ~20 years ago, to accomodate 235/85/16LT tires. Object was to get same ride height and feel as OEM 17.5x5.25 6-Lug rims with 8R-17.5 tires. 17.5 rims were pronounced ''shot'' at that time. That 17.5'' size rim was ultra rare from the start, and obsolete 32 years later.
Mileage then was around 300,000. I never knew the replacements were trailer rims. Now at about 406,000, I got a duplicate 6 x 16 trailer rim from C& J Tires in Tucson. Probably #5 from the other 4 I bought there in Late'99 or early 2000's. I had the impacted rim ''trued'' by a local wheelwright for $80, after calling around town asking for that size in a Truck Wheel, and getting nowhere. Once it was dismounted, and I saw the inside Trailer markings up close, I knew what to look for. Sure enough, I called the same guys I got the first set from, and they had one. For $68 bucks. I got down there early the next day and snatched it. So now the dinged-but-trued wheel will become the spare.
Not recommending anyone else put their truck on Trailer Wheels, but it's worked fine for me for over 100,000 miles and 20 years, so I'm confident in using them myself.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 07-18-2022 at 04:10 AM.