View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 12:27 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Has anyone built a custom fuel tank

You know your own welding skills. I'm not being snarky there.

What I would do first is get some cardboard and cut my tank out of it and get it all together and taped up and set in place to stand back and see that that is exactly what you want.

Then I would get a sheet metal shop to shear the pieces and bend up as much of it in a brake as they can manage. That will cost a few bucks unless you can get a buddy deal but it should eliminate a few welded seams.

On the other hand, back about 20 years ago my son had a 79 Elcamino that had a 45 gallon tank that the owner had had a shop weld up out of mild steel. The tank was welded up of all flat pieces with no bends and all seams. I think I finally hauled the remains for scrap after cutting a lot of pieces out of it to fab things as it was 1/8 steel and heavy as all get out. Receipts showed that a previous owner had driven between Arizona and Southern California on about a weekly basis. That thing about broke me the first and only time I ever filled the tank.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote