View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 02:15 AM   #3
1966 K10

Re: Heavy Hauler Diff swap

Im kind of in the same boat as trying to get brake parts, wheel bearings, tires and various other wear items is pretty difficult for my 64 C60. I hate the idea of 'de rating' it putting 1 ton axles on it but keeping it working on the road SAFELY is very important. My issue is the 6 lug BUDD hubs and Rh5 split rims making finding wheels difficult/expensive and if I cant find brake parts why spend more money on them.

I could use 4WD in the winder mud season and finding front 4x4 axles and medium duty transfer cases is again difficult/expensive even for modern stuff. I also have a few C30 C&C parts trucks to work with and a set of CUCV axles. The problem I see with the C&C 14 bolt dually axle is the narrow width practically requiring the axle to drop to bleed the brakes. A wider Dana 70 or a later AAM disk brake 14bolt would be a cheaper option with better freeway ratios available.

Actual use should determine the route you should take. I plan on keeping it original as long as its safe. Ive gone through the brakes, and plan on changing the tires my self since a few are dry rotting a bit. For our limited farm use it should last a few years before hard decisions will be made. When the time comes a the Dana 60 with factory trac loc and 4.56 gears along with the 14 bolt Detroit and disk brake swap will be going in. Since it has factory power steering hydroboost is a no brainer. With the SM420 getting pretty noisy and syncros NLA a NV4500 with divorced T case is the cheapest way for reasonable speeds.
Attached Images

1966 K10 is offline   Reply With Quote