View Single Post
Old 11-16-2022, 01:31 AM   #2
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Go Devil Run looks fun

I think a Land Cruiser/Toyota group in Utah used to organize a "relic run" where the participants had to bring rides that were from like 1985 and older, with the added bonus to use camping gear from the same era. So think of metal jacketed coolers, Coleman stoves/lanterns, and the like.

I personally like the idea, but I wouldn't force folks to use old gear for the sake of nostalgia. Vintage Coleman gear is cool and all, but I'm not going out for a weekend or a week with a cooler that can't keep ice for more than a few hours. I like COLD frosty ones when camping and don't enjoy the Russian roulette of cooking a steak that *might* have got a little too warm in the vintage cooler.

I'd say most guys wouldn't want to go full on Rock crawling with a vintage chebby, but an easy 2-3 day (or more) overlandish type run would be up most people's comfort and skill level.

The Desert Trips I've been on with Larry get along those lines. A good time getting away with like minded folks that enjoy exploring. Our group is split between vintage squarebodies and late model Ram Power Wagons. 2020 had our largest group at the beginning with 3 Squarebodies, 1 67-72 Burb, 3 Rams and 2 Tacomas.

The idea over the last 2-3 years is less extreme trails, but still remote and ready for a challenge if the need comes up. Just get out and explore our vast public lands.

If there is anybody in Colorado that want's to link up and go play I'd gladly go show them around.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote