View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Re: Go Devil Run looks fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
What a coincidence
When I win the Powerball and am a gazillionare I’m going to open the same museum here on the west coast. I’m even going to have a Sahara 4x4, truly the strangest off-road vehicle ever built.
I’ll fly you out to see mine if you fly me out to see yours
Only if lobster diner included . I've been working on building the collection for mine. I'm happy to say it is well on it's way. So far I have gathered one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
I've learned my lesson about going too extreme on trails with my truck. While fun, it's still impacting my wallet. *Does anybody have a spare VSS rear bearing housing for a 241 handy?** I need to buy or build something to beat on for rock crawling trails. Save the K5 Camper for exploration.

I don't know if I even would have my truck if I still lived back east with little to no public lands to go play on. Off Road parks back there look fun, but geared to the crawler or rock bouncers for sure. Plus the trees get a lot tighter back there.

Blazer Bash in Moab usually brings a great cross section of GM based 4wd trucks out to play. The more hardcore trailer stuff in for the hard trails, but a good chunk drive in. We had more than a few first gen K5's that took on mild to wild trails. One drove a bone stock 87 K5 with a Hallmark camper from as far as Florida for the second year and he did great on the mild stuff.

All in all its a good time with like minded folks that enjoy old GM trucks and wheeling.
I learned my lesson on rocks in my old '69 W200 while living near Flagstaff. I bent my tie rod in no time flat. I fixed that, then there was the first mud bog at the drive-in. Prior to that weekend I had people telling me I should enter the truck, so I did. After seeing one truck spit a steering knuckle off and most others get thrown into the side bank due to a hard high center I withdrew. I had to drive that truck 2,500 miles back home. I did a whole lot of scenic back country running, though.

We used to go everywhere around here before 4wds became popular. Along with numbers comes trouble (& more impact) and next thing I knew places got shut down. Lots of day fun around here but no vast open areas to explore for days on end in a vehicle. 4-wheeling in ORV parks to me is like ice skating at a skating rink compared to frozen rivers and lakes. My 4wd builds anymore lean toward the vocational utility vs recreational. But a lo-profile 8' camper on my K2500 could get a lot of use making camp where less people tread.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote