View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 08:53 PM   #239
Duncan K

Re: 66 GMC Long to Short LS Swap

I got the seals installed on the inner fenders. I used stainless safety wire and bent them into staples, worked pretty well.

Got to do some final assembly with freshly painted parts. Bolted up the inner fenders, core support, and the battery tray. Installed the radiator and battery.

With the inner fenders in I now had a place to put a waterproof fuse/relay box. I wired up all the power for the motor and ecu, as well as the fan. Also built a bracket to house a fuse block on the fire wall inside the cab. It sits right on top of the Tac Module for the drive by wire.

Wired power to the ignition switch and turned the key, engine would crank but not start. Spent 2 days trouble shooting only to find out that the "acc" terminal on the ignition switch that I used to signal the main power relay loses power when you turn the key to crank the starter. Switched the signal wire over to the ignition terminal and it fired right up.

I wired up the OBD2 port so I could hook up my laptop with HPTuners to monitor oil pressure and coolant temp. I let the motor run until it hit 108 degrees celsius to confirm the ecu would trigger the fan relay. It takes a long time for it to hit 108! Fan kicked in, so all engine wiring is now complete. Still need to run some heavier ground and power cables from the battery.