View Single Post
Old 12-24-2022, 01:12 PM   #87
Arne

Re: '64 C-10 Stalled Project Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa dumb hick View Post
Back to the A-833 Chrysler/New Process transmission for a moment- I have some additional questions:
1) Does it mount up to the original '64 C10 trans mount/crossmember?
2) Shifter linkage? Hurst/Chrysler/other?
3) Bellhousing and clutch?
4) Slipyoke spline to GM driveshaft?

We may need to discuss off-line if becomes too much detail, I guess I missed the part where it got installed etc. I'm somewhat ignorant about these old trucks but have sufficient mechanical ability and curiosity to figure them out with some assistance. Thank you for sharing.
Please bear in mind that I bought the truck with this gearbox already installed. My understanding is that it is a matched pair with the early '80s 305 small block in the truck now. I did a fair amount of searching to pick up more info on this, but please don't make me swear to any of this, as some is hearsay.
1) Does it mount up to the original '64 C10 trans mount/crossmember?
Not sure, but I was told that the crossmember is the same as would be used with a TH350.

2) Shifter linkage? Hurst/Chrysler/other?
The linkage appears to be the original from the donor Chevy truck, based on the '80s Chevy shift knob it had on it. I've read that the Chysler linkage is different, with some links reversed on the GM version to allow 3rd gear to be the direct 1:1 gear instead of 4th.

3) Bellhousing and clutch?
The bell housing is apparently special to this transmission. The clutch is probably whatever Chevy used for this application.

4) Slipyoke spline to GM driveshaft?
Yes. Like the crossmember, I was told the slip yoke (and even the overall length of the transmission) is a direct swap to the TH350.
I've read people who have (or are looking for) this box sat that when searching, you want to find the gearbox with it's bell housing and original linkage. Vastly simplifies the swap.

覧覧覧覧覧覧

Last edited by Arne; 03-11-2023 at 11:20 PM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote