View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023, 02:09 AM   #1
leegreen

stereo install in AD cab, my ideas

I never liked the factory AD radio location, it is like they designed the dash the realized they forgot a spot for the radio. I welded it up years ago.
I want a modern stereo, but I don't want to spoil the look and feel of the truck installing it.

I've posted the first part before: a reworked glove box door skin to replace the speaker grill and have a flip up door to hide a stereo:
Name:  dash1.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  34.5 KB
Name:  dash2.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  41.6 KB

Next I needed to find a place for speakers. Rear cab corners are an obvious choice, but welding in flat metal there does not appeal, the truck is curvy. I also don't want to block access to get to the lower cab corners so I can keep them clean and dry, I've already replaced them twice, that is enough!

so 6.5 round speakers will fit here at an angle, and mocked up in CAD I like the curvy look. The next post will be building that in metal.
Name:  rear location.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  22.0 KB
Name:  rear cad.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  56.0 KB

For front speakers, the kick panels are out. Park brake from a 90s chev on one side, heater on the other plus some curtesy lights. I really like the bead rolled inner door skin, not going to hack it up. That leaves the lower access panel / hinge bolt cover. At 4x9 will fit in there if you recess it into the door, and angling it up seems to make sense to get the sound to the ears. (I'm no audiophile, no idea if this is true but it is more interesting to build)
Another post will be how I made this work.
Name:  4x9.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  31.1 KB
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote