View Single Post
Old 01-24-2023, 12:17 PM   #14
biketopia

Re: Swap pros, need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
those pressure regulators usually cause hard starts, smell of fuel, etc. I don't smell fuel and when I got the pump back in yesterday it fired right up first crank. I'm just not sure how they actually regulate the pressure?
Check where you installed the AN fittings into the braided hose. I had some cheaper hose and fittings gouge the inner rubber of the braided hose and it would act as a check valve and block fuel and gave all kinds of starvation issues. I've gone through a lot of issues with the fuel system in my Camaro and wish I had just done the Aeromotive drop in unit and PTFE line from the get go. PTFE is a lot easier to work with.

I learned a lot because of my issues though, plenty of people use the evil energy stuff with out issues but there's the chance with any fitting or line combo to have issues. I'd pull every connection you can get to while you're in there and use a flash light to make sure you don't have a piece of trash or rubber inner hose giving you fits. Don't remove the fittings from the hose, just unscrew them from their connection at the pump, filter and engine, etc. If you have compressed air it cant hurt to make sure you don't have a blockage anywhere.

The factory regulator has a calibrated needle and seat and spring that allows a certain amount of fuel to bypass to the return lines to maintain correct pressure. The vacuum line allows the pressure to rise with load on the engine. Also if you had a restriction in your return circuit you'd be fighting higher fuel pressure at the rail. My first pump was oversized when I was still running a carb and needed to regulate down to 7PSI, I had the regulator pretty much wide open with -6 return, upped to -8 and I could actually use the regulator. Now that set up is fuel injected and return is technically over kill, but it won't hurt anything.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote