View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 12:34 AM   #12
1966 K10

Re: 60-66 Suburban Challenges

Ive been daily driving my 66 K10 for a few years now in small town rural farm community where the speed limit is perfect for this old ride. Right now Im trying my hardest to keep it bone stock but am collecting parts to safely upgrade when the parts get too difficult to source. The kids complain about the worn out seats and heater that barely defrosts the windshield in 10* temps but that can be fixed by restoring the seats and adding an aux heater in the rear. The factory front and short middle seat have been perfect so far but also have some panel utility buckets waiting in the wings when mom says she needs to get to the back more easily. The short middle helps when loading lumber or other long stuff.

It has a V8, 4 speed and factory 221 tcase and will admit the gear noise is a bit loud but the factory exhaust is SUPER quiet. Im sure a rebuilt trans and t case will quiet it down some but finding syncros for the SM420 is rough as they are NLA and I havent found any NOS in the past 8 or so years of searching. The pinion seal on the 12 bolt rear is also NLA so just waiting for that to start leaking to help make a decision. I do have a locker in the rear which makes this thing unstoppable in snow and mud. I studded the 7.00x15s and now ice is no longer an issue. The 31in tire with 3.73 is great but the 33s will be nicer on the freeway.

The only thing I dont like is the factory lift block in the rear. Off road on hard acceleration it does wheel hop a bit so something has got to be done to avoid breakage. Either a center track bar or flip the factory rear cast hanger to make it into a tension type setup like on 1 ton task force trucks.

Here is the list of parts I will be adding as needed:

Dana 44 front and 12 bolt rear out of a later blazer with disk up front 3.73 gears and got the sway bar and mounts to put in as well. I also have a 3/4 ton setup with the same gearing but 14 bolt rear.

Divorced NP205 and rebuilt SM456

Gen VI 454 and crate 350 to choose from

255/85/16 mud terrains on factory steel wheels with 66 hubcaps, if I run the 3/4 ton axles Im out of luck on the caps.

I wasnt worried about A/C here in the PNW but the last few years have been brutal. Looks like Ill be getting the dealer installed in dash kit going this year or next depending on funds.

Since just over 1000 K burbs were built each year finding one is the hard part, deciding how much rust to take on is another.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1966 K10; 02-04-2023 at 12:41 AM.
1966 K10 is offline   Reply With Quote