Thread: No start issue
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 12:09 PM   #22
RustyPile

Re: No start issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
The harness is a psi.. they have been very involved in helping me with this..
Here are some parts of our emails back and forth
--------
Har-1015 harness. Even with the cam sensor un plugged it will still start.
--------
Crank rpm comes from the crank sensor the PCM must see an rpm during cranking, then the cam sensor locates the #1 cyl. to commence the firing. In the event there is no cam signal. The PCM defaults to back up fuel mode and the vehicle still starts. If you have no crank RPM it will not start.
-------
No crank rpm = no start, cam sensor does not affect the crank rpm.
--------
I spent several hrs last night cruising ls1tech.. but couldnt narrow down what my issue is..
I'll check that link out and dig some more..
The 5.3 had just been introduced when I retired so I didn't get the chance to work on it.. However, the 3800 and it's "little brother" 3300 FWD had been around a while.. The early additions of those engines were famous for their cam sensor failures.. Almost 100%, when the engine failed to start, the cam sensor had failed. I kept a new cam sensor in my toll box, and without any trouble shooting, I'd put that new sensor on the engine and most of the time it would fire right up.. If it didn't start (I don't remember one that didn't) I'd re-install the original and I'd begin legitimate troubleshooting. I honestly don't remember an engine with a failed cam sensor that would start..

I don't believe in just throwing parts at a problem, but I'm almost tempted to suggest that you arbitrarily replace the cam sensor without proof that it has failed..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote