Thread: Frankentruck
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 11:49 PM   #1157
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frankentruck

Welp, I have some bad news to report. All the gears and bearings look to be in fantastic shape. But the part that broke I'm sure is made of Unobtanium. I don't even know what to call it at the moment, but part of the assembly that helps engage the overdrive is what broke.

I would love to find a NOS piece, if one even exists, but I'm not too hopeful on that one.
The good in all of this is that I can still drive Frankentruck whenever I want to because the old sm318 still has some life left in it. It is a bit whiny, but I don't want to pull it and rebuild when I can just pull and replace with the rebuilt sm319.

Rick, did you have to replace this part when you rebuilt yours? Have you had any trouble keeping the solenoid sealed up properly?

Paul, although tempting, I want to keep the sm319 in Frankentruck. I'm not opposed to going t5 on Penny though. A Tremec 5 speed would be better able to handle the horsepower and torque that I would like to end up with, maybe in a couple years or so.
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote