Thread: Frankentruck
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2023, 03:13 PM   #1165
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frankentruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Man I'd be tempted to take the good one to machine shop for a copy or two and then try welding the broken one back up and sanding it smooth. It looks like just the small tab snapped off and its all there correct?
I don't trust my welding abilities for a critical part inside the transmission like that This is one of those things I don't want to have to pull back apart for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1restorick View Post
Christian, I would seriously make an offer on the new E-bay listed part. $200 seems a little high, but it puts your overdrive back in action. I spent $600 buying new gears and $139 for the rebuild kit. The synchro drum was another $200 as well. Parts for these transmissions are becoming harder to fine, especially NOS.

Best of luck. I am a strong fan of these transmissions, they had a good overall design and were used in so many applications. I really like using 2nd gear overdrive for round town cruising.

Years ago, when my overdrive was inoperable, my truck sucked gas badly and screamed on the highway as well. Parts were actually hard to find in the 1980's as well. I advertised in Hemming Motor News at the time just to find a new solenoid. Now, they are reproduced and a mouse click away.

Rick
I'll probably throw an offer out there on that one, just to see what might happen. I saw that about the solenoids as well. Currently, mine works still, but it is old, so who knows when it might fail. I love having the overdrive though. Makes cruising down the interstate much quieter.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote