Thread: 55.2-59 57 Fleetside C4 build
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2023, 02:51 PM   #153
dsraven

Re: 57 Fleetside C4 build

I have painted stuff in my shop, as required, but even when the walls and shelves are masked off the overspray and dust clean up takes a lot of time. I used a 2x4 frame with furnace filters stapled on, the hanging furnace filter type, and put that in the garage door opening, then let the door down on top of that. then removed the windows and covered the openings in the same way-minus the wooden frame- then placed a fan outside the windows to get some ventilation going. I wet the floor down and squeegee'd it off so the floor dust is down to a minimum prior to spraying. I use a supplied air full face mask with the compressor outside in the fresh air (upwind). I use a tear away mask cover so if it gets overspray on it I can tear it off and stick a new one on. I have some smooth hardboard scraps usually stuck to the wall somewhere so I can check my spray gun pattern before spraying. I have several air dryer methods and a air supply hose large enough to supply constant pressure with no pressure drop once the gun is actually spraying. this is a common problem with home spray painting, the air supply lines are too small and the gun quick connect is also a restriction so when you give the gun a shot to check the pattern it looks good but a few seconds of constant spraying and the air pressure at the tip is too low so the pattern changes. a pair of disposable coveralls and lots of rubber gloves with a easily accessed garbage can is a must as well. I usually have a gun mixed up and another paint cup full ready to go before I start spraying. then hope there is no problems. when doing the wax and grease remover it is important to use clean, dry, not laundered with a dryer sheet, painting rags and use lots of grease remover with lots of rags so you don't wipe contaminants from one spot to the next. then allow the whole thing to flash off dry before you spray. otherwise it will be a mess because the grease remover is like a contaminant to the paint. trust me on that one. use the correct reducer for the shop temp and mix according to the instructions. a viscosimeter would be great but I don't have one and haven't had much of a problem over the years. I have sprayed a lot of cars and truck, equipment, motorcycles etc. most of them in my shop. I am lucky enough to have a paint booth available in Calgary but it isn't the cleanest place around. I try to get the last booth times for the day so it can sit in the booth overnight and then I gotta arrive right at opening so I can get it outta there.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote