Thread: Frankentruck
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 12:13 AM   #1178
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frankentruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
Christian,

Well done on the new qualification, I trust that you will reward yourself appropriately by wisely investing in another truck….

P.
Thanks, Paul. It'll be around August/September before I actually get the qualification because I still have to satisfy the work requirements of at least one year working under a licensed CPA. I didn't start working full time until middle of August 2022, but at least I don't have to study for the exams anymore! I'm actually starting to save up to buy a house in the next 2 years or so. If I attempt to bring another truck home, or any vehicle for that matter, I'll be getting kicked to the curb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Congrats man!
And nice messy bench ya got there!
Reading back a bit I can say a tremec 5 speed would be a great trans to get at some point. I have a tko600 in my 66 and have yet to actually test it out but from what I've seen they are smooth tight shifting 5 speeds.
Of course now the tko is outdated and replaced.....and more exspensive haha
Thanks, TJ. That's about the cleanest it's been in awhile! We cleaned off the bench to be able to have a spot for the rebuild. The parts transmission is currently half way apart on my welding table.
I definitely want a Tremec 5 speed one day, but it won't be in Frankentruck. I'm committed to the 3 speed overdrive and want to keep it that way for the rest of my ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
A Tremec would be great in any of our trucks, and yet be total overkill for this truck's 283, or even my truck's small block 305. I'm pulling for the successful rebuild of the original overdrive, myself. It's just too cool for a truck like this.
Definitely would be great behind either a 283 or 305, both of which I have. I should put A tremec behind one of those two in the future. Penny will probably get one, one day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got home from work to a nice sunset, so I had to snap a few pictures.

After dinner, I worked some more on the transmission by attempting to take the bearings off. The rear came off easy, the middle one was a challenge, and I don't know how to get the front one off. Time to research!

I did get some lights hung up above the work bench instead of using a cardboard freight flash light. Much better light now, and I still need to replace the bulb on the overhead fixture
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson

Last edited by cwcarpenter98; 03-04-2023 at 12:19 AM.
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote