View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 01:39 PM   #149
Second Series

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusti View Post
amazing work on that girl.
Thanks!

It’s too cold for paint. I did get some cold galvanizing compound sprayed on the hinges on a warm day.
I removed the window garnish from the doors, and chiseled out the rubber wiper from the channel.
When I got this truck over 20 years ago, the original mirrors were gone. This is a 3800 so 1-ton with the bracket for an arm with a round mirror. I got some mirrors from an 80’s truck and screwed them to the doors. Now I’ll use the typical truck mirror set up, so the holes in my doors need to go. I practiced filling holes on a piece of scrap with Oxy-Acetylene. It went better than when I was welding on the inner fenders. I used a magnet to hold a piece of copper under each hole and knocked out that task. I’ll follow up with some body filler for the imperfections, but I’m happy with the results.
The brackets for the 1-ton mirror left holes in the cowl. Those are next on my list. There is a reinforcement bracket under the sheet metal where the mirrors mount. I don’t think I’ll be able to get the piece of copper behind the old holes. I’ll practice filling hole without the copper backer.
Attached Images

1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote