Thread: 47-55.1 Windshield Divider screws
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 04:20 PM   #3
jweb

Re: Windshield Divider screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
the screws arent too short, you will find when you get longer ones that the longer ones will poke out of the divider stainless outside when you tighten them! they are a real pain to get the shorter ones to catch in new rubber though. i have had my wife laying on the hood pushing with all her strength and still the screw would not catch the divider correctly.

what i started doing was taking a really long 10-32 and cutting the head off, and threading it into the divider, all 4. then i stuck it through the windshield rubber and the inside bracket, the threads stuck out a good inch. I used 4 10-32 nuts with a washer and tightened it all together, then one by one replaced the long screws with the screws that come in the kit. 60% of the time it works every time.

Good idea with the longer bolts. I may try that.
I can get the inner 2 but the outers seem way off. When I tighten those 2 it pulls the chrome trim down slightly but it bows the inner trim at the same time.

I damaged my chrome trim trying to move the threaded inserts, so I'm waiting for a new trim piece to try again. I had my entire truck apart to have the cab repainted and this is the only piece that's given me any trouble.

I have to get it back together soon, we are heading to Kool April Nights next month
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote