Thread: 47-55.1 Cab mounts
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 01:37 PM   #11
hopalong

Re: Cab mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I am more familiar with the task force trucks, but I think you need to consider the whole front end as a single part. cab-fenders-rad support-hood. if the rear mounts are easily felxible, te center mount is fairly non flexibe, and the front mount is flexible, then what you really have is a see-saw effect. I will be using the stock mounts from a newer style truck under all contact points of the cab and rad support. that way they all have the same ability to flex as a unit. the box is solidly bolted and seperate from the cab so that part is straight forward. my frame, however, is not a stock frame and is fully boxed and cross membered fairly stiffly along the ladder as it goes along. my floor is also not a stock floor so I will just say consider how one body part needs to interact with the other body parts. the old stock mounts will likely be fine as long as the rest of the system isn't modified for strength and flexibility (or non flexibility).
my 51 frame has the MII independent suspension and going to box it in as I already have all the boxing plates cut and about ready to weld them in. So yes the truck is modified with other mods up coming. I rebuilt a sbc 327 I had with forged pistons rods etc. with the old green stripe Duntov cam and a 700 r4 trans. Broke-in the 327 on my engine run stand a while back. Now working off/on cab and chassis. This is why I was concerned about the cab mounts as the non box chassis flexes byitself quite a bit and that shackle mount kinda looks like it will increse swaying with shake roll of the stock chassis. Probably gonna add steel support bracket for the rear cab mount and do the latter truck/car type mounts. The rear chassis will remain leaf spring suspension for now. I have a 67 Nova street muscle car to finish up while starting on the 51. And a 57 chevy belair post after that. All mine to keep in the family. Thanks to all for the great replies
hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote