View Single Post
Old 03-29-2023, 09:58 AM   #3989
tutone

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I never thought of how there'd be woods from around the world coming here as pallets. I am all about the reuse/salvage thing these days. I keep small pieces of the more interesting lumber to make smaller things from. Heck, I even make special mouldings out of scrap framing limber, just crappy white pine. I'll get a picture of where I dug this wood out from. The shelf itself was cut off a 16' length of window sill stock, the piece between the brackets was a primed (and weathered) piece of clear Douglas Fir true 5/4" with a beveled rip for something exterior, and the brackets came from my scrap stash, 3/4" x 3" clear cedar left over from something. No money what so ever into materials and it's all good stuff. I used the cedar for being clear and softer for ease of shaping, being so small. We figured 23"L x 4"W would do it. The sink is a tiny roundy cool porcelain cast iron wall-hanger like you'd see in a service station bathroom. She didn't want people setting things on the back ledge (for some reason). I'll get a pictures once painted and hung. Glad you liked it
Yeah, I got in the habit of looking for wood sources 30 years ago at the paper mill. We would get parts from all over the world. I had a boss that was a guitar builder, so we were always on the lookout for spruce. I would come up with some of that and lots of maple. Here are the pens made from the wood from India. I cant get the camera to really focus on the grain.
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote