View Single Post
Old 04-01-2023, 07:34 PM   #4024
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

I had a lot of thoughts, but this guy gives my number out as a big source of work for me. Often starts with a piddley repair, then turns into a lasting relationship, or at least calls for other work once they gain confidence in me. All about the bread & butter.

I got a call to do a vent stack boot on a house. I have a 1/2 day minimum charge. The homeowner asked me to check the others, I tell him I always do and will give a report on shingle condition as well. He had three other boots, all with the rubber seal bad. I had to get more and come back the next day. Since I already got a half day pay for the one, I cut $50 off to do the other three. He asked about replacing the cheap 49 cent yellowed plastic vents the builder used, that were hard to access due to location, height, aluminum siding/40' ladder, with frail framing beneath, AND one gable wall had a huge holly tree against the house. I said it would require renting a man-lift. I told him I noticed the painted wood trim on the gables up there were due for repaint and would require very little prep at this point. I'd take care of that and he could have a painter do all the lower stuff at his liberty, and not have to pay a premium for the high work. He agreed to that and asked to also price all the lower painting. I told him since the fascia behind the gutters is the most vulnerable that they should be removed to paint, then reinstall. But I suggested wrapping with color matched aluminum so gutter removal again would not be required. He liked that and asked to also figure new gutter. Then there were two lengths that were hard for him to clean leaves and asked to price my recommended leaf guard.

So, I came back with a total price, with each thing broken out and he took the whole ball of wax, over $7,000! That man-lift made the work a breeze and I did the job M-F. The man-lift was due back Monday morning, so that weekend I took down a big maple at home. The guy was happy and I made good money. Not many jobs go that well, but that's the kind of jobs I get out of this guy I'm doing work for now. So I'm cutting him some slack... this time!!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-01-2023 at 08:14 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote