Thread: 47-55.1 Interior fireall cover?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2023, 11:34 PM   #3
TX3100Guy

Re: Interior fireall cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Normally you just don't run wires behind thatpad. I'd go for neatly laced and routed up high out of sight but routed in a way that the harness becomes part of the art even though it won't ever be seen unless you are laying under the dash. Maybe worth 10 points at a major indoor show.
Makes sense. However, I've mounted the new fuse panel on the drivers side, high up on the firewall and I had to make a cut out on the firewall cover to allow it to be accessed, along with the cutout for the Vintage Air unit.

Additionally, I've eliminated multiple firewall penetrations for the stock wiring, speedo and tach cables, etc. This requires that I have only two access routes for wiring. All wires for the front of the car exit the firewall on the passenger side, and all wires for the rear of the car (and the oil pressure, water temp, and brake switch) exit the firewall on the drivers side. Both of these exits were existing holes (slightly over 1" in diameter and I used a stock grommet to avoid wire chafing, although the wires will be in nylon wire loom)

I can move 90% of the wiring from behind the firewall cover and get them high up under the dash, but given the two exit points, a wiring bundle has to descend from under the dash to these outlets.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."

Last edited by TX3100Guy; 04-08-2023 at 11:42 PM.
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote