View Single Post
Old 04-10-2023, 03:55 AM   #29
Richard

Unhappy Re: 4L80E - column shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I am doing a little guessing here as I haven't measured the indicators myself.
I believe the indicators with the extra gear are embossed into the same space as the three speed automatics. If you just relocated the stock linkage, to fit the 4 speed, it will be off. If you use aftermarket linkage the ratio is adjustable at the transmission shift station lever.
This makes the alignment possible but slightly more difficult shifting as the spacing is so close and the shift effort is slightly higher.
My preference is the stock indicator (1-3). With 1st gear, of the 1-4, off to the right far enough it is barely or not a all visible. If you have the electronic overdirves it really makes little difference as the full throttle shifting rpm is programmable and no reason to shift it yourself.

Others not familiar with the truck's shifting have no issues getting it in gear. Even if the pick first and get second it's not a safety issue. It come down to "Oh you have an overdirve" when they spot the indicator on the column.
Cheers
Shifting is quite easy due to the extended lever on the transmission. Spacing is not close. Same as stock. Again, everything lines up.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote