View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 08:53 AM   #1285
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s English 2001 S10 Extra Cab 4.3 V6 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Nice work Rian. Love ur back up activator handle.
Thanks Bill, yes, they knob is missing, but I am sure a small threaded nut/knob will work if I manage to add a thread to the bit that is there.

BY NOW MOST PEOPLE KNOW I LOVE FREE CASH, OR STUFF.

It all translates into being able to do other things, buy stuff, or even give stuff away, things that make me feel good.

My younger brother “DOZER” retired after 41 years in the military Engineering Corps as a Warrant Officer, or Sergeant Major or Sargeant Major depending on where in the world you are.

We grew up in a time when fixing things, repurposing, or reusing was the norm, and hand me down clothes from two, three, four other cousins was the norm in our family.

Our father and mother both grew up on farms and knew the value of gathering wild fruits, foods, mushrooms etc, and they taught us these skills as well.

Of course not everyone cares for this sort of thing, and for many it is not good unless shop bought and issued with a “Use by” date.

Working across Africa in various war zones in Burundi, DRC and others, building roads, dams, homes, repairing ravaged infrastructure, my brother was able to often use the skills learned as a kid, finding fruit, vegetable and other things like wild honey etc. to supplement, to the surprise of his colleagues on these operations, their standard issue rations.

Back home at the Engineers base where he was attached, the old skills and pleasure of gathering “Free cash” or food etc continued.

With a very keen eye, he had long since identified quite a few Pecan Nut trees, both in the base, and on some of the village streets where he lives.

So every year during the season, he gets around and gathers all the pecans as the trees fruit, and then sits at home removing the shells.

These are the trees, hiding in plain sight.

They seem to also fruit at different times, which means he has a “harvest season”

Saturday he went over to the military base he retired from and got his first collection together.

He has confessed that the first harvest does get eaten mostly as they get shelled.

Then they collect and store them for use through the year.

Rusty, his one rescue dog keeping an eye on the goods.

Shelling and tasting…..

Because the Pecans are so freshly gathered, he and his son tend to dry and even lightly roast them in the oven before storing them.

I am actually quite envious of these Pecan nuts, as they are not that cheap to buy, and interestingly, as kids, growing up, my dad was involved in South Africa in some local farming initiatives, one of which was pecan nut production, and every year a large bag of unshelled pecans would find their way home to us.

Great memories.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote