View Single Post
Old 04-18-2023, 04:20 PM   #60
Vic1947

Re: 65 Fairlane pro-touring build

Today was moving day for the Fairlane. Rolled it into the spot previously occupied by the GTO and used regular and RV jackstands to level the frame side to side and front to back. It's dead on now and should be ready to resume installing the new front suspension.

It's been a while since I surveyed the extent of the tin worm infestation. I'm agonizing over whether to purchase quarter panel skins. The company that makes them doesn't use factory dies. Instead, they use conventional equipment like an English wheel, bead roller, Pull-Max, sheet metal brake, hammers and dollies, etc. to fabricate the panel. A lot depends on the experience level of the craftsman, the quality of the buck and the attention to detail during construction. Stamped aftermarket panels aren't always the best as we all know, since a lot of the dies are worn out crap. But generally speaking, they're adequate as a starting point. Regardless of whether I buy or build, I'm probably facing a year of metal fab at the rate I work. Being old, I need more frequent naps.

Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote