View Single Post
Old 06-12-2023, 12:27 PM   #6
mrobvious34

Re: 12 bolt ring and pinion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
The pattern is not bad but could be better. You probably have a later model wider axle, measure your existing axles. Pinon bearing thicknesses were right around .030" and no it's not unusual to have to add .010". Unmolested later model carriers used one piece cast iron shims that were faced to fit, usually about .250" thick. Using the Yukon Supershim packs you can move the carrier towards the pinion to center the pattern on the ring. You didn't indicate the amount of shim you have under the pinion? Did you record the thickness of the existing shim(s) under the original pinion when you dismantled the axle? Pinion depth is a good reference but will vary depending on the pattern and pinion shim thickness. You have it very close, close enough to run but I'd try .050" less pinion shim which is .050" more pinion depth and shim the carrier away or to the left of the pinion and check pattern and backlash. Read the bottom of page 7... https://www.randysworldwide.com/web_...l_Complete.pdf
The original pinion shim was .026, and this rear did have a single cast shim on each side of the carrier, one was .236 and the other was .242. When the pinion depth showed correct, I had .018 shim behind the pinion gear. I changed it to .030 shim and the pattern looks much better. I do not have a picture of the new pattern, but it is centered on both the coast and drive side.
mrobvious34 is offline   Reply With Quote